- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2015.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2012.
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Kerman, Iran, 2004.
Research Areas and Descriptors
Energy Harvesting, Acoustics and Dynamics, and Mechanics of Materials:
- Piezoelectric energy harvesting from dynamical systems, multiphysics modeling of submerged piezoelectric structures, ultrasonic acoustic energy transfer, acoustic fluid-structure interaction, structural dynamics, vibrations, smart structures, and theoretical and experimental modal analysis.
- Virginia Tech, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, Assistant Professor, August 2016-present.
- Virginia Tech, Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics, Instructor, August 2015-August 2016.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Smart Structures and Dynamical Systems Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 2013-2015.
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Marine Bioacoustics Laboratory, Graduate Research Assistant, 2010-2013.
- Advanced Computational Mechanics Group (CMG) at Brunel University (West London), Collaborative Researcher, 2004-2010.
- Shahab, S. and Erturk, A., 2016, Coupling of Experimentally Validated Electroelastic Dynamics and Mixing Rules Formulation for Macro-Fiber Composite Piezoelectric Structures,” Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, in press.
- Shahab, S. and Erturk, A., 2016, Electrohydroelastic Euler-Bernoulli-Morison Model for Underwater Resonant Actuation of Macro-Fiber Composite Cantilevers, Smart Materials and Structures, 25, 105007.
- Shahab, S., Tan, D., and Erturk, A., 2015, Hydrodynamic Thrust Generation and Power Consumption Investigations for Piezoelectric Fins with Different Aspect Ratios, European Physical Journal – Special Topics, 224, 3419-3434 (Special Issue on Dynamics of Animal Systems).
- Shahab S., Gray M. and Erturk A., 2015, Ultrasonic Power Transfer from a Spherical Acoustic Wave Source to a Free-Free Piezoelectric Receiver: Modeling and Experiment. Journal of Applied Physics, 117, 104903.
- Shahab, S. and Erturk, A., 2014, Contactless Ultrasonic Energy Transfer for Wireless Systems: Acoustic-Piezoelectric Structure Interaction Modeling and Performance Enhancement. Smart Materials and Structures, 23, 125032.
- Shahab S., Mirtaheri M., Mirzaeifar R. and Bahai H., 2011, Improving the Energy Absorption Capacity of Shear Walls by Shifting the Buckling Threshold. Advances in Structural Engineering, 14 (6): 1247-1257.
- Shahab S., Mirzaeifar R. and Bahai H., 2009, Coupled Modification of Natural Frequencies and Buckling Loads of Composite Cylindrical Panels. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences, 51(9-10):708-717.
- Mirzaeifar R., Shahab S. and Bahai H., 2009, An Approximate Method for Simultaneous Modification of Natural Frequencies and Buckling Loads of Thin Rectangular Isotropic Plates. Engineering Structures, 31 (1): 208-215.
- Mirzaeifar R., Bahai H. and Shahab S., 2008, A New Method for Finding the First and Second- order Eigenderivatives of Asymmetric Non-conserving Systems with Application to an FGM Plate Actively Controlled by Piezoelectric Sensor/Actuators. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 75 (12): 1492-1510.
- Mirzaeifar R., Bahai H. and Shahab S., 2008, Active Control of Natural Frequencies of FGM Plates by Piezoelectric Sensor/Actuator Pairs. Smart Materials and Structures, 17 (4) 045003.
Honors and Awards
- Second-place winner in the Student Paper Competition of the ASME Technical Committee on Vibration and Sound.
- SPIE/ASME Best Student Paper Award finalist (received honorable mention), 2015.
- Invited participant for Virginia Tech Future Faculty Program, 2015.
- Invited participant for GE's annual Networking Event at the GE Global Research Center in Niskayuna, NY, 2014.
- Recipient of the Leo Beranek Student Medal for Excellence in the Study of Noise Control, 2013.
- Anne Robinson Clough Conference Grant, 2012.
- Smart Materials and Structures top 30 most accessed papers in 2008.
- The Institute of Noise Control Engineering of the USA (INCE/USA)
- Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)