Latest NewsJuly 14th, 2016
July 12th, 2016
SeminarsAugust 31st, 2016
September 14th, 2016
Clifton C Garvin Professor
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics (MC 0219) Norris Hall, Room 333-E, Virginia Tech 495 Old Turner Street Blacksburg, VA 24061
Multiscale Analysis of Multiphiysics Problems involving Material and Geometric Nonlinearities, Nanomechanics, Dynamic Failure under Shock Loads, Smart Structures, Functionally Graded Materials.
- 1972: Ph.D., Mechanics and Materials, The Johns Hopkins University
- 1969: M.A.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Waterloo
- 1968: B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Punjabi University, India
Honors and Awards
- 2015: ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) Honorary Member Award
- 2013: Selected as Fulbright Specialist in Nonlinear Solid Mechanics
- 2009: Engineering Science Medal from the Society of Engineering Science
- 2006: D.Sc. (Honoris Causa), Thapar University, India
- Co-Editor & Co-founder - Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids (1/95 – Present)
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Int. J. Computational Methods (1/04-12/13); Honorary Editor (1/14 – Present)
- President – Society of Engineering Science, Inc., 1996
- Organizer and Co-Chair - 14th U.S. National Congress of Theoretical & Applied Mechs., Virginia Tech, June 23-28, 2002
S.-R. Li, X. Wang and R. C. Batra, Correspondence Relations Between Deflection, Buckling Load, and Frequencies of Thin Functionally Graded Material Plates and Those of Corresponding Homogeneous Plates, ASME J. of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 82, Art. No. 111006, 2015.
Y. Sun, S. R. Li and R. C. Batra, Thermal Buckling and Post-buckling of FGM Timoshenko Beams on Nonlinear Elastic Foundation, J. Thermal Stresses (accepted), 2015.
P. H. Shah and R. C. Batra, Through-the-Thickness Stress Distributions near Edges of Composite Laminates using Stress Recovery Scheme and Third Order Shear and Normal Deformable Theory,Composite Structures, 131, 397-413, 2015
Q. Li, D. A. Dillard and R. C. Batra, Material Model for Large Deformations of Fiber-reinforced Rubberlike Materials with Different Response in Tension and Compression, Tire Science and Technology, (accepted) 2015.
D. Snelling, Q. Li, N. Meisel, C.B. Williams, R. C. Batra and A. P. Druschitz, Lightweight Metal Cellular Structures Fabricated via 3D Printing of Sand Case Molds, Advanced Engineering Materials,17:7, 923-932, 2015.
A. Chadegani, K. Iyer, D. Mehoke and R. C. Batra, Hypervelocity Impact of a Steel Microsphere on Fused Silica Sheets, International Journal of Impact Engineering, 80, 116-132, 2015.
Y. K. Wen, C. Xu, S. Wang and R. C. Batra, Analysis of Behind the Armor Ballistic Trauma, J. of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 45, 11-21, 2015.
G. O. Antoine and R. C. Batra, Optimization of Transparent Laminates for Specific Energy Dissipation under Low Velocity Impact using genetic Algorithm, Composite Structures, 124, 29-34, 2015.
G. O. Antoine and R. C. Batra, Low Velocity Impact of Flat and Doubly Curved Polycarbonate Panels, ASME J. Applied Mechanics, 82, Art. No. 041003, 2015.
G. O. Antoine and R. C. Batra, Sensitivity Analysis of Low-velocity Impact Response of Laminated Plates, Int. J. of Impact Engineering, 78, 64-80, 2015.
G. O. Antoine and R. C. Batra, Constitutive Relations and Parameter Estimation for Finite Deformations of Viscoelastic Adhesives, ASME - J. Appl. Mechs., 82, Article No. 021001, 2015.
S. Paik, S. S. Gupta and R. C. Batra, Localization of Buckling Modes in Plates and Laminates, Composite Structures, 120, 79-89, 2015.
K. Iyer, D. Mehoke, R. C. Batra, Interplanetary Dust Particle Shielding Capability of Spacecraft Multi-Layer Insulation, J. Spacecraft and Rockets, 52:2, 584-594, 2015.