- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Brown University, May 2005
- B.Sc. Chemical Physics, University of Science and Technology of China, May 1999
- Outstanding Poster Award, National Cancer Institute (NCI) Alliance for Nanotechnology in Cancer Investigators Meeting, 2007
- University of North Carolina Postdoctoral Scholar Award for Research Excellence, 2008
- Honorable Mention Poster Award, The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) - Medical Imaging Conference, 2009
- Sigma Xi Honorable Research Society, Full Member inductee in 2009
- Best in Physics Poster Award, The Joint American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) and Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists (COMP) Meeting, 2011
- Carbon nanotube x-ray source technology
- Biomedical imaging systems
- Image-guided cancer treatment
- 1. Y. Z. Lee, L. M. Burk, K. Wang, G. Cao, J. Volmer, J. Lu, and O. Zhou, "Prospective respiratory gated carbon nanotube micro-computed tomography", Academic Radiology 18, 588 (2011).
- Guohua Cao, Laurel M. Burk, Yueh Z. Lee, Xiomara Calderon-Colon, Shabana Sultana, Jianping Lu, and Otto Zhou, "Prospective-gated cardiac micro-CT imaging of free-breathing mice using carbon nanotube field emission x-ray", Medical Physics 37, 5306 (2010).
- Y. Z. Lee, L. M. Burk, K. Wang, G. Cao, J. Lu, and O. Zhou, "Carbon nanotube based x-ray sources: Applications in pre-clinical and medical imaging", Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A (2010)
- Yang Lu, Hengyong Yu, Guohua Cao, Jun Zhao, Ge Wang and Otto Zhou "Multi-beam field emission x-ray system with half-scan reconstruction algorithm", Med Phys 37, 3773 (2010).
- Guohua Cao, Xiomara Calderon-Colon, Laurel Burk, Yueh Z. Lee, Shabana Sultana, Jianping Lu, Otto Zhou, "Desktop micro-CT with a nanotube field emission x-ray source for high-resolution cardiac imaging," Proc. of SPIE- Medical Imaging 7622,7622B (2010).
- S. Sultana, X. Calderon-Colon, G. Cao, O. Zhou and J. Lu, "Design and characterization of a carbon nanotube based micro-focus x-ray tube for small animal imaging," Proc. of SPIE- Medical Imaging 7622, 76225G (2010).
- Kathryn deKrafft, Zhigang Xie, Guohua Cao, Sylvie Tran, Liqing Ma, Otto Zhou and Wenbin Lin, "Iodinated nanoscale coordination polymers as potential contrast agents for computed tomography", Angewandte Chemie 48, 9901-9904 (2009).
- H. Y. Yu, G. Cao, L. Burk, Y. Lee, J. P. Lu, P. Santago, O. Zhou and G. Wang, "Compressive sampling based interior reconstruction for dynamic carbon nanotube micro-CT," Journal of X-Ray Science and Technology 17, 295-303 (2009).
- Guohua Cao, Jian Zhang, Otto Zhou and Jianping Lu, "Temporal multiplexing radiography for dynamic x-ray imaging", Rev. Sci. Instr. 80, 093902 (2009).
- (Invited Paper) Guohua Cao, Theron Hamilton, Christopher M. Laperle, Christoph Rose-Petruck and Gerald J. Diebold, "X-ray phase contrast imaging: Transmission functions separable in cylindrical coordinates", J. Appl. Phys. 105, 102002 (2009).
- Xiomara Calderon-Colon, Huaizhi Geng, Bo Gao, Lei An, Guohua Cao and Otto Zhou, "Carbon nanotube field emission cathode with high current density and long-term stability", Nanotechnology 20, 325707 (2009).
- Guohua Cao, Y Z Lee, Rui Peng, Zejian Liu, Ramya Rajaram, Xiomara Calderon-Colon, Lei An, Peng Wang, Tuyen Phan, Shabana Sultana, David S Lalush, J P Lu, and Otto Zhou, "A dynamic micro-CT scanner based on a carbon nanotube field emission x-ray source", Physics in Medicine and Biology 54, 2323-2340 (2009).
- Cao, G., Calderon-Colon, X., Wang, P., Burk, L., Lee, Y. Z., Rajaram, R., Sultana, S., Lalush, D., Lu, J. and Zhou, O., "A dynamic micro-CT scanner with a stationary mouse bed using a compact carbon nanotube field emission x-ray tube", Proc. of SPIE-Medical Imaging 7258(1), 72585Q (2009).
- Guohua Cao, Sorasak Danworaphong, and Gerald J. Diebold, "A Search for laser heating of a sonoluminescing bubble", Euro. Phys. J. 153, 215-221 (2008).
- Guohua Cao, Yueh Z. Lee, Zejian Liu, Ramya Rajaram, Rui Peng, Xiaomara Calderon-Colon, Lei An, Peng Wang, Tuyen Phan, David Lalush, Jianping Lu, and Otto Zhou, "Respiratory-gated micro-CT using a carbon nanotube based micro-focus field emission x-ray source," Proc. of SPIE-Medical Imaging 6913, 401-411 (2008).
- Guang Yang, Ramya Rajaram, Guohua Cao, Shabana Sultana, Zhijun Liu, David S. Lalush, Jianping Lu, and Otto Zhou, "Stationary digital breast tomosynthesis system with a multi-beam field emission x-ray source array," Proc. Of SPIE-Medical Imaging 6913, 1A1-1A10 (2008).
- G. Yang, R. Rajaram, J. Zhang, S. Sultana, G. Cao, D. Lalush, J. Lu, and O. Zhou, "A novel gantry-free DBT system using a stationary multi-beam field emission X-ray source array based on carbon nanotubes," Medical Physics 34 (6), 2347-2347 (2007).
- Guohua Cao, Theron Hamilton, Christoph Rose-Petruck and Gerald J. Diebold, "X-ray Phase Contrast Imaging: Transmission Functions Separable in Cartesian Coordinates," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 24, 1201-1208 (2007).
- C. Laperle, G. Cao, T. J. Hamilton, C. Rose-Petruck and G. J. Diebold, "Photothermal modulation of x-ray phase contrast images," Proc. Of SPIE-Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging 6437(8), (2007).
- (Invited Paper) Theron J. Hamilton, Guohua Cao, Shougang Wang, Claude J. Bailat, Cuong K. Nguyen, Shengqiong Li, Stephan Gehring, Jack Wands, Vitalyi Gusev, Christoph Rose-Petruck, and Gerald J. Diebold, "Ultrasonically modulated x-ray phase contrast and vibration potential imaging methods," Photons Plus Ultrasound: Imaging and Sensing 2006: The Seventh Conference on Biomedical Thermoacoustics, Optoacoustics, and Acousto-optics 6086, 608601 (2006).
- Theron Hamilton, Guohua Cao, Claude Bailat, Jack Wands, Stephan Gehring, Christoph Rose-Petruck, and Gerald J. Diebold, "Ultrasonically Modulated X-Ray Phase Contrast Imaging," Proc. of IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: From Nano to Macro, (2006).
- Yan Jiang, Wei Li, Guohua Cao, Taewoo Lee, Gyanprakash Ketwaroo, and Christoph Rose-Petruck, "Ultrafast x-ray absorption spectroscopy: observing the equilibrium structure and structural dynamics of solvated molecules", Proc. of SPIE 4504, (2001).
- Otto Zhou, Guohua Cao, Yueh Lee, Jianping Lu, book chapter in "Nanoplatform-Based Molecular Imaging", John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey, U.S.A. in press (2010)
- "Tomography-based and MRI-based imaging systems", Ge Wang, Hengyong Yu, Otto Zhou, Guohua Cao, Erik Ritman and Michael Vannier, US utility patent application submitted (2010).
- "Temporal multiplexing x-ray imaging", Jianping Lu, Guohua Cao, Jian Zhang and Otto Zhou, US utility patent application submitted (2010).
- H. Yu, G. Cao, L. Burk, Y. Lee, J. Lu, P. Santago, C. Wyatt, O. Zhou and G. Wang, "Compressive sampling based interior tomography for dynamic carbon nanotube Micro-CT", 10th International Meeting on Fully Three-Dimensional Image Reconstruction in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, Beijing, PRC, Sept 2009.
- Wang, P., Sultana, S., Cao, G., Calderon-Colon, X., Lu, J. and Zhou, O., "Design and characterization of s portable field emission micro-focus x-ray tube for micro-CT", Proc. of SPIE-Medical Imaging 7258, poster paper # 208, (2009).
- Yan Jiang, Taewoo Lee, Guohua Cao and Christoph Rose-Petruck, "Molecular structure of solvated molecules measured using an ultrafast laboratory-based x-ray source", Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 223, C63-C63 (2002).
- Yan Jiang, Taewoo Lee, Guohua Cao and Christoph Rose-Petruck, "Ultrafast lasers and x-ray absorption spectroscopy: Investigating molecular structure and dynamics of solvated molecules", Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 223, C67-C67 (2002).
- Yan Jiang, Wei Li, Gyanprakash Ketwaroo, Guohua Cao, Chinnru Wu and Christoph Rose-Petruck, "Generation and Application of X-radiation by Interaction of Ultrashort High-intensity Laser Pulses with Condensed Matter", Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 221, U290-U290 (2001).