Latest NewsNovember 16th, 2016
November 3rd, 2016
SeminarsDecember 7th, 2016
December 9th, 2016
The Adhesive & Sealant Science Professor
Department of Biomedical Engineering and Mechanics (MC 0219) Norris Hall, Room 219-A, Virginia Tech 495 Old Turner Street Blacksburg, VA 24061
Professor Dillard's expertise is in the area of failure and time dependence of polymeric materials. He specializes in studies dealing with fracture mechanics, viscoelasticity, fatigue, environmental degradation, durability predictions, and test method development. Although his work has spanned a variety of polymeric material systems, his special emphasis for many years has been on adhesives and sealants. A major thrust of his work has been the development of appropriate test methods for evaluation of adhesive bonds, analysis and design procedures for adhesive joints, and studies of the durability of such systems when exposed to a variety of environmental conditions. Recent efforts include durability of fuel cell materials and studies of soft matter, such as hydrogels.
- 1981: Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1978: M.S., Engineering Mechanics, University of Missouri-Rolla
- 1976: B.S., Engineering Mechanics, University of Missouri-Rolla
Honors and Awards
- 2013: Wake Medal, Society for Adhesion and Adhesives, The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
- 2011: Dean's Award for Excellence in Research
- 2010: Adhesion Society’s Award for Excellence in Adhesion Science
- 2008: Professional Degree (awarded to distinguished alumnus), Missouri University of Science & Technology
- 2006: Adhesive and Sealant Science Professorshipconveyed through endowment supplied by the Adhesive and Sealant Council.
- 2005: Best Paper Award for the Advanced Composite Materials and Systems Track of the Society for Experimental Mechanics
- 2004: Robert L. Patrick Fellow of the Adhesion Society.
- 2002: Dean's Award for Excellence in Research
- Member and past president of the Adhesion Society
- Member of ASEE
- Member of ASME
- Editorial Board for the Journal of Adhesion